- June 17, 2020
- Posted by: Brandon Abbott
PGY-1 Outpatient Pediatrics
Brandon Abbott DO FAAP, North Country HealthCare: email@example.com #: 928-522-9578; cell: 602-317-5724
Miran Song MD FAAP, North Country HealthCare: firstname.lastname@example.org : 928-522-9651; cell: 928-221-7020
Description of Rotation and Educational Experience:
- This curricular component is a four-week block experience designed provide enriching, entrustable inpatient newborn care with outpatient pediatric care.
- The resident will work with North Country HealthCare pediatric faculty in one of its two pediatric outpatient clinics (4th Street and Flagstaff Pediatric Care).
- In addition, learners will complete 4 weeks of newborn call (subject to duty hour policy).
- Finally, residents will also complete a number of hours in the Newborn Intensive Care Unit at Flagstaff Medical Center under the guidance and supervision of Dr Gutierrez, neonatologist.
- Residents will complete 3 continuity clinic half-days per week during this rotation.
- Learners will be oriented to the goals/objectives, schedule and responsibilities at the start of the rotation.
- During the Outpatient Pediatrics rotation learners will attend regular Family Medicine didactic sessions and will present a topic assigned to them.
- To provide NCHC Family Medicine residents and other learners (medical students) with supervision, guidance and entrustable clinical care experiences in pediatric care.
- Residents should achieve understanding and competency in objectives below.
Outpatient Pediatric Objectives
- Practice-Based Learning and Improvement:
- Learns and improves via performance evaluation
- Learns and improves at the point of care
- Learns and improves via feedback
- Monitors practice with a goal for improvement
- Patient Care and Procedural Skills
- Care of the Well Newborn:
- Review newborn examination and evaluation
- Counsel parents on care of the well newborn
- Arrange for outpatient follow up of newborn
- Care of the Sick Newborn:
- Evaluate sick newborn, develop differential diagnosis and plan of care
- Counsel parents on plan of care and ongoing care of sick newborn
- Understand long term care plan of sick newborn
- Care of the Well Child:
- Examine and evaluate well child
- Assess developmental milestones of the well child
- Coordinate with child development specialist on interventions for child not meeting milestones
- Expectant counseling of parents for child development
- Develop mastery of CDC ACIP vaccination schedule
- Care of the Adolescent:
- Evaluate and counsel on pubertal development
- Evaluate HEADSS assessment
- Expectant counseling with adolescent and parent
- Ethics and disclosure with adolescent
- Care of the Sick Child:
- Evaluate sick child, develop differential diagnosis and plan of care
- Counsel parents on precautions and care of sick child
- Understand follow up for sick child
- Systems-Based Practice:
- Transitions patients effectively within and across health delivery system
- Recognizes system error or inefficiency and advocates for system improvement
- Medical Knowledge:
- Demonstrate growth toward mastery in clinical knowledge of above domains
- Interpersonal and Communication Skills:
- Works and communicates effectively within an interprofessional team
- Communicates effectively with patients and caregivers
- Accepts responsibility and follows through on tasks
- Appropriate utilization and completion of health records
- Exhibits integrity and ethical behavior in professional conduct
Evaluation and Feedback:
- Learners will be given regular formative feedback by faculty during their rotation and are encouraged to have an explicit mid-day rotation progress feedback session to help guide performance
- Faculty will complete formal evaluation through new innovations at the end of the rotation
- Learners will evaluate faculty and the rotation through the new innovations platform
- See reading list above.
|NB nursery||NB nursery||NB nursery||NB nursery||NB nursery||NB nursery (every other sat)|
|AM||Pediatric Clinic||Pediatric Clinic||FM Clinic||FM Clinic||Pediatric Clinic||Pediatric clinic (every other sat)|
|PM||Pediatric Clinic||Pediatric Clinic||FM Clinic||FM Didactics||Pediatric Clinic|
- Pediatric Vital Signs
- The Newborn Exam
- ABO Incompatibility
- Group B Streptococcal Guidelines
- CCHD Screening
- Newborn Metabolic Screening
- Hearing Screening
- Bright Futures Guidelines
- Sports Physical Exam
- ACIP Vaccination Schedule
- Lead Screening
- Hemoglobin/Anemia Screening
- Pediatric Vision Screening
- ASQ Training
- M-CHAT/Autism Screening
- Strep Throat
- Otitis Media
- Atopic Dermatitis